- KINNETHMONT, a parish, in the district of Alford, county of Aberdeen, 2 miles (N.) from Clatt; containing 1107 inhabitants. This place is supposed by some to have taken its name, formerly Kennethmont, from one of the Kenneths, kings of Scotland, having been interred in the churchyard, which is an eminence similar to a mount. Others, regarding its present orthography of Kinnethmont as more correct, derive it from two Gaelic words signifying "head" and "moss," which express the proximity of the high ground of the church site to a mossy tract in the vicinity. The parish consists of Kinnethmont properly so called, and of the old parish of Christ's-Kirk, which has been annexed to it from time immemorial; it is situated at the western extremity of the fertile district of the Garioch. It is nearly oblong in figure; is six miles in length from east to west, and about three in breadth; and, with the exception of several hundreds of acres in plantations, and a few other tracts, is under tillage. The surface is pleasingly diversified with hills and vales, and enlivened by the Bogie, a good trout stream, which runs along the western boundary, and separates this parish from that of Rhynie. The ground is in some parts mossy, supplying the inhabitants with peat for fuel; but the prevailing soil is a light loamy earth, producing, when well cultivated, excellent crops. All kinds of crops are raised, under the operation of the rotation system; the farms vary in general from eighty to 100 acres, but there are many of much smaller extent. Houses built of stones and lime, and roofed with slate, are gradually displacing the old turf tenements; the scythe has entirely superseded the sickle, in the cutting of corn; and on the larger estates, threshing operations are performed by machinery. Much land has been trenched, marshy ground drained, and moorland brought under tillage to a considerable extent, during the present century, many portions now producing most luxuriant crops. The rateable annual value of the parish is £4578.The mansion of Leith Hall is the seat of Sir Andrew Leith Hay, who served in the peninsular war, a narrative of which he has published, with some smaller works. There is also the residence of Ward House, situated upon an estate greatly improved and beautified, during a period of twenty years, by the late proprietor, Mr. Gordon. A turnpike-road, finished a few years ago, runs through the parish, from east to west, affording facilities of communication with Aberdeen, Huntly, Inverness, and other parts: public coaches once travelled on it. The agricultural produce is sent to Inverury, eighteen miles distant, whence it is conveyed by canal to Aberdeen for sale; and the carts, on their return from Inverury, bring lime and coal. An annual cattlefair is held in April, another in July, and a third in October. The parish is in the presbytery of Alford and synod of Aberdeen, and in the patronage of Sir Andrew Leith Hay: the minister's stipend is £195, with a manse, and a glebe of twelve acres, valued at £15 per annum. The church, a neat and commodious structure, was built in 1812, and is capable of accommodating 600 persons. The members of the Free Church have a place of worship. The parochial school affords instruction in the ordinary branches; the master receives a salary of £25. 13., with a house, and about £10 fees, augmented by an allowance from the Dick bequest. The parish once had a small circulating library, consisting of historical and religious works; and a savings' bank, instituted fifteen years since. The remains of two Druidical temples are still visible; and a bag of silver coins has been found, with "Alexander I." engraved on one side. On the hill of Melshach is a chalybeate spring which has long been in much repute.
A Topographical dictionary of Scotland. Samuel Lewis. 1856.
Look at other dictionaries:
Insch — INSCH, a parish, in the district of Garioch, county of Aberdeen, 3¾ miles (W.) from Old Rain; containing 1379 inhabitants. The word Insch, or Inch, is of Celtic derivation, and signifies an island, its application to this place having probably … A Topographical dictionary of Scotland
Camiers — French commune|nomcommune=Camiers région=Nord Pas de Calais département=Pas de Calais arrondissement=Montreuil canton=Étaples insee=62201 cp=62176 maire= mandat= intercomm= longitude=1.61444444444 latitude=50.5666666667 alt moy=23 m alt mini=2 m… … Wikipedia
Kennethmont — KENNETHMONT, Aberdeen. See Kinnethmont … A Topographical dictionary of Scotland
Leslie — 1) LESLIE, a parish, in the district of Garioch, county of Aberdeen, 7 miles (W. S. W.) from Old Rain, containing 553 inhabitants. This place is said to have derived its name from a family who held the lands so early as the eleventh century.… … A Topographical dictionary of Scotland
Premnay — PREMNAY, a parish, in the district of Garioch, county of Aberdeen, 3½ miles (S. S. W.) from Old Rain; containing, with the village of Auchleven, 691 inhabitants. This parish is about four and a half miles in length from north to south, and… … A Topographical dictionary of Scotland